Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pocklington UK Two Bright Lights

Posted: April 19, 2009

Date: March 29, 2009
Time: 8.30 p.m.

Number of witnesses: 2
Number of objects: 2
Shape of objects: Bright point of white light with rotating diffuse diamond shaped red light as background, possibly above the object.
Weather Conditions: Clear night. Good star visibility. Temp 5C.

Description: Sitting in my garden observing the night sky, I became aware of an approaching light from the west, but with an oddly flickering red haze above it. I assumed it to be an approaching helicopter with a searchlight on and red navigation lights flashing above, and waited for the sound. As I watched I realized that the light was getting very bright indeed, that there was no sound as it came overhead, and that the red 'backlight' appeared to be getting larger. It also seemed to be going much too fast and too high to be a helicopter, although judgment of height was entirely subjective.

At this point I realized that this was something extraordinary, and called to my partner to come quickly. She did so and we watched as it passed almost directly overhead and then to the east, quickly growing dimmer before disappearing long before reaching the eastern horizon. We shrugged and I returned to my previous observing position. To my surprise, some minute or so later, an identical light appeared above the rooftops. I rushed indoors for my camera and returned in time to take one shot as it approached. The camera battery was very low, and the camera almost immediately shut itself down.

As it came overhead, I looked more closely at the odd red background light, and noticed that it was a clear diamond shape of diffuse red light that appeared to be rotating slowing clockwise in a jerky flashing motion that pulsed about 4 times a second. The second object appeared to be following a slightly different path to the first, although both appeared to be flying in a straight line. The strange red light, the complete silence, and the appearance of coming out of the sky from a great height before passing quite close overhead and then disappearing up again left me with the distinct impression that this was no ordinary aircraft sighting. My overall impression was of two unusually fast bright objects entering the higher atmosphere, passing close to the earth, and then leaving the atmosphere.

If it had not been for the red diamond shape and the repeat performance I would have explained it away as a close meteor pass. My impression was that the objects appeared to be projecting a tight red scanning laser image directly upwards to give the rotating diamond effect, an impression derived from the appearance of a flickering light above from a distance, but as a backlight when overhead.

Very odd!

Thank you to UFOINFO for this report. http://www.ufoinfo.com/

No comments: