Friday, November 12, 2010

Red Light Observed From Lake Te Anau Southland (Chinese Lanterns/Wish Lanterns)


Date: November 12, 2010
Time: Approx: 9:55 p.m.

I just saw a red light fly through the sky. It appeared in the sky from nowhere and came steadily closer. At first I thought it was a helicopter or plane, but the light was bright and steady (not flashing). I was waiting to hear it, but there was no noise. I kept watching and it came closer and closer still no noise.

I rushed inside to grab my camera and when I came back out, it went through a bit of very light cloud (wouldn't ordinarily block out anything) and I thought well, it must be higher up than I thought. It's a pretty clear night, so it will appear again out the other side, but that was it, gone. I didn't see again.

It was about 9:55pm over Lake Te Anau, Southland. Coming from the west/northwest heading east/southeast

Normally this wouldn't concern me as anything different, the thing that got me is that there was no sound at all. Here surrounded by mountains you can hear aircraft from miles away and that it just disappeared into nowhere.

I don't know, very mysterious. I want to know what it was. Would also be interested if anyone else seen it. Am reluctant to give my name, it's a small town and people will think I've gone crazy.

Thanks.

Update:

Hi, we've been sent a link to your Blogspot. http://worldufos.blogspot.com/2010/11/red-light-observed-from-lake-te-anau.html


Please explain to your observant spotter this explanation:

Two words = Sky Lantern

Friday night in Te Anau included a Divali party (it's the biggest Hindu festival and very awesome), we celebrated a week late to ensure we weren't seen to be celebrating terrorism ("Guy Fawkes" which is also celebrated locally), I couldn't get white sky lanterns and procured 10 red ones from http://www.trademe.co.nz/

They were big red tissue paper heart editions (usually for weddings), we had possibly 10 witnesses to the launch of 4, in two lots of two during evening, we gave 5 away as presents as part of the festivities and have one left which your anonymous spotter is welcome to have (ask them to go to the Fiordland Cinema and identify themselves, or Trips and Tramps).

At night they glow and there is a chance the night watcher might have seen the cardboard burning beneath the basically paper hot air balloon before is burnt out, all organic biodegradable components of course.

We only have one local night flyer who was not in the airspace at the time of launch.

Hope this helps.

Brian Vike’s Note: I would like to thank the folks for sending along the information which gave the answer to what the witness saw, which was Chinese lanterns/Wish lanterns or which ever one wants to call them, as there is numerous names for these lanterns and yes, even UFO Balloons.

If you have seen anything like this in the same area please be kind enough to contact Brian Vike at: sighting@telus.net with the details of your sighting. All personal information is kept confidential.

Sightings.com website: http://www.sightings.com/

No comments: